The sepulchral monument to Grand Master Nicolas Cotoner (elected in 1663-1680), situated in the Chapel of Aragon, underwent restoration in 2008 upon the initiative of The St John’s Co-Cathedral Foundation. Restoration works were sponsored by Shireburn Software Limited.
The marble monument was executed in Rome by Domenico Guidi (1625 –1701) and was assembled in the church in June of 1686. The gilt bronze bust of the Grand Master is here surrounded by one of the most outstanding collections of triumphal paraphernalia. The bust is carried by two Muslim slaves representing Asia and Africa. The monument is backed by an impression of a marble pyramid, a symbol of eternity. The angel of fame and a putto hold the Grand Master’s coat-of-arms.