Commissioned by King Louis Philippe, the monument dedicated to the Vicomte de Beaujolais, his brother, is an elegant expression of pure white Carrara marble. He died in 1808 during his visit to Malta. The monument dates 1842 and signed by Pardier. The plaque, reminiscent of Classic Greek sculpture, was carved by Augustine Felix Fortin.
The Prince, wearing the dress uniform of a French Admiral, lies helpless on the ground. Despite the deposits of dust, particularly on the decorative frame and over the body of Vicomte, the monument was found in good condition. The restoration was carried out, in the beginning of 2016, by the Foundation’s resident marble restorer, Raymond Aquilina under the supervision of the in-house conservator Adriana Alescio.