The monument of the Marquis de Wignacourt is found on the right side of the altar, and was erected by Grand Master Adolf de Wignacourt in memory of his brother, who died during his visit to Malta in 1615.

It’s an intricate design forming a catafalque of inlaid marbles, surmounted by the coat-of-arms of the Wignacourt family. The monument was found in good conditions and the aim of the restoration was to remove the deposits of dust and dirt accumulated over the years and to replace  the old dull layer of wax applied during the last intervention.

These operations were carried out by the Foundation’s resident marble restorer, Raymond Aquilina, under the supervision of the in-house conservator Adriana Alescio.