The funerary monument of the Grand Master Marco Antonio Zondadari, situated on the left-hand side of the Main Entrance of St John’s Co-Cathedral, is the first of the two masterpieces realised by the Florentine sculptor Massimiliano Soldani Benzi, followed by the monument dedicated to the Grand Master Manoel de Vilhena.

The monument, made in Florence in 1723, belongs to the late baroque period and it is characterised by dark bronze elements and polychrome marbles. The cleaning and restoration of this monument was done in 2016 by the Foundation’s resident marble restorer, Raymond Aquilina, who carried out this operation, under the supervision of the in-house conservator Adriana Alescio.