The Capella Ardente is carved wooden structure which used to be assembled in the centre of St John’s Church on the occasion of the frequent solemn requiems. These where held in the church to commemorate the demise of popes and important public figures. It was commissioned by Fra Joseph de Robins de Barbantane, a French Knight in 1726. Designed by the Italian architect Romano Carapecchia and made by the Maltese craftsman Michele Camilleri. Restoration works started in November 2010 by ReCoop under the initiative of the St John’s Co-Cathedral Foundation and was finished in November 2012.