The inner door of the main entrance of St John’s Co-Cathedral, called the antiporta, was installed in 1950 to create a of lobby between the main door and the nave. It is a large roofed structure made in solid mahogany wood, with two side doors and a large central portal in line with the external portal. The surface is moulded and painted in a dark brown colour. Over the years, the external surface has suffered from discoloration due to sun exposure and the progressive thinning of the varnish. The aim of the restoration was to revive the aesthetic quality of the wood and protect the external surface from light oxidation and UV radiation.
The restoration works were finished by Brands International Ltd. in July 2018, under the supervision of the in-house conservator Adriana Alescio.