The silver and gilt bronze reliquary which contained the right arm of St John the Baptist was commissioned by Grand Master Gregorio Carafa and was designed by Ciro Ferri in 1689. It was made to be the crowning glory of the altar of the Oratory of San Giovanni Decollato, at St John’s Co-Cathedral. The reliquary underwent restoration in 1997 with the initiative of the Museums Department, Valletta and the Central Restoration Institute in Rome. The restoration works were financed by the Italian-Maltese Protocol.